Nov 16, 2012

Badger State recap, Part 2: University Lake School

On Monday, November 12, I visited the wonderful students and teachers at University Lake School in Hartland, Wisconsin. The school is on a beautiful wooded campus, where the stark beauty of November in Wisconsin was evident from every window.



The day started with lunch in the library. Two students each, from grades 1 -4, were chosen to have lunch with the author, based on a paragraph they wrote about their love of books or reading. (And how did they know I love chocolate cake??)


















I got a tour of the school, and stopped to visit with second graders in their classroom. They're writing books of their own, and had great questions about the writing process.







I talked about how a little witch pushed her way into my Pied Piper story. And then I demonstrated my writing and revision process, using Page One of a new story as an example. Lots more great questions from the students in grades 3 through 6.


 We wrapped up the day with the school book fair, where I heard about kids' favorite books, and even met a few aspiring writers. I can't wait to read their books some day!

Many thanks to everyone at University Lake School, especially Adriana Hollenbeck, and to the lovely people at Books & Co. in Oconomowoc.

I had a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment